So I have been actively blogging for a few weeks now, and this site will go officially live, this Friday (14th July 2006), and I still can’t decide how far to go, so far my blogging has been limited to:
- Business strategy
- A bit of fun stuff
- Interweb stuff
To date, I have avoided quite a lot of other subjects close to my heart, such as:
- My life outside bit10
- My love of Lithuania
- My other life in World of Warcraft
- My attempts to kill myself every winter Snowboarding
Its difficult to understand why I am cautious, my thoughts are:
- This blog site is ultimately run by bit10, although the authors content is entirely their own and at their own discretion what they blog.
- The primary purpose of the blog for bit10 is further shout about what we know, what we do, demonstrate us as thought leaders in our industry and obviously (and perhaps blatantly), increase awareness and cross linking to bit10.
- However why does this stop me writing about things I am passionate about?
- Are readers going to be that interested?
- The counter of that is that these subjects may well be of interest to readers.
- Do I want potential customers of bit10 forming an impression of me that influences (either positively or negatively) their decision to work with bit10?
- I could get an external blog to blogs.bit10.net, but what is the point?, ultimately bit10 do not care (too much!), what I write, and believing that its at arms length is not really feasible – afterall I am bound to mention bit10 on any private blog, therefore it will relate me back to bit10 anyway.
When I look at what other people at bit10 have been blogging during the trial period I notice already there is a big difference in styles and content, for example:
- Gemma – is taking a slightly personal/off the wall approach.
- Jacob – is taking a passionately professional approach.
- Stuart – Stuart is the champion of blogging project, and he has for a long time had his own external blog, in which he mixes professional and personal content.
This is all great, does not help me though!!! So confused!!!